Friday, January 14, 2011

What's the deal?

I thought I'd make a small introductory post just in case anyone reading this is not from my class and would like to know what the deal is...so here's the deal: I have created this blog as a part of my Community Development course. The postings that will be made are "assignments" for the course. Will I choose to continue this blog beyond what is required for my course? I guess we will find that out together...

The purpose of this blog is to explore community development and how it can be used within my own communities and how it relates to me, you and society as a whole (or at least that's what I understand from my assignment breakdown). I by no means am an expert in community development and am simply making posts from my little peanut gallery to fulfill a course requirement. I feel as though a majority of the content I will be posting here will be reflective but I hope that I can take away some valuable knowledge from these reflections and exploration of communities.

So....I might as well say a few things about myself to provide some background into where I am coming from. I currently live in Calgary Alberta. I am begining to develop a strong dislike for the winter months as they leave me frozen and vitamin D deprived. I have been bitten with a serious travel bug and would love more than most things to have the ability to travel without driving myself into a giant hole of debt. Alas, I am a poor student and my travelling dreams are on the back burner for the moment. I have a strong interest in the sport and recreation community and am drawn to disabilty sport. I currently volunteer with Special Olympics Calgary and find these experiences to often be the highlights of my week  (even at 8am on a Sunday morning!). Because of this, there is a high likelihood of my posts for this blog to be related to the disabled community in some way, shape or form. Volunteering with Special Olympics is a major reason for me entering the Bachelor of Applied Business and Entrepreneurship in Sport and Recreation program at MRU. I have a BSc in Exercise and Health Physiology and felt this program would give me the business skills I would need to contribute to the sport and recreation world without completely abandoning my previous degree. I guess that's why I'm here in a nutshell....not really an indepth look at me but that't not really my purpose here...

So this is going to be the end of my first post. Just thought I'd try to engage myself in this whole blogging business and this is about as much as I can muster up for a friday night...Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment